5 Alternative to shampoo | No-Poo Cleansing Method
The No-Poo method is a trend that is being adapted by naturals everywhere because it’s healthy for our hair. It’s when you use a gentle alternative to shampoo to cleanse your scalp. Most shampoos have harmful ingredients such as sulfates that strip the natural oils from our scalp and hair. This results in irritated dry scalp leaving our hair frizzy and looking extremely dry.
If you have dry frizzy hair and itchy scalp its time to ditch the shampoos and try these alternatives:
- Co-wash – Use a gentle cleanser such as a co-wash (cleansing with conditioner only). Use a conditioner that is free from sulfates and silcones. It should be rich in emollients which soften the hair, protein to repair the hair and humectants that attract and hold moisture into your hair.
- Sulfate-free Shampoo/ Shampoo Bar – Every now and then you’re going need to cleanse with a gentle shampoo to remove the product build up from the scalp that the co-wash didn’t remove. Using a sulfate-free natural shampoo with help you do that without the harsh chemicals that strip your hair. Natural shampoos are designed to cleanse the hair the same way shampoo does but it is made with natural ingredients and a natural sudsing agent, like coconut oil. It may lather less but a little goes a long way. You can find natural shampoo in liquid form or in the form of a shampoo bar. Shampoo bars don’t contain sulfates or preservatives and are created with natural oils and butters to nourish the scalp. They are long lasting, effective and easy to use.
- Clay Wash – clays have been used throughout history by many cultures as a healing and cleansing method. They contain minerals and nutrients that help alkalize the hair and scalp. Clays like Bentonite clay, Kaolin Clay and Rhassoul Moroccan Clay pulls dirt and pollutants from the skin and hair to cleanse and soften. When using clays you will need to mix with water and apply to hair like a hair mask. You can let it dry before rinsing or rinse immediately but you will need to follow up with a conditioner. You can also mix it right in with your conditioner to prevent a messy bathroom. Yes, clays can get messy and depending on the type of clay you use it can stain your bathtub, so take your time when applying and start by using a small amount to prevent a bathroom disaster.
- Rinses – You can do DIY apple cider vinegar, beer or tea rinses to remove product build-up from the scalp. These are great for clarifying and strengthening the hair. A rinse also makes the hair shiny, adds vitamins and nutrients and helps to darken hair color and add volume.
- Dilute Shampoo – If you have sensitive scalp or you still want to use less shampoo you can simply dilute your natural shampoo with 50% water. This helps you keep a lot of the natural oils in your hair while still cleansing your scalp.
These are some amazingly effective no-poo cleansing methods that you can start today! Remembering to focus on cleaning the scalp and little manipulation of the hair to prevent tangles, you're on your way to clean, nourished, healthy hair and scalp. Happy Washing!