Learning How to Rock Your Crown
Loving your natural hair comes with it's drawbacks and apart from learning how to style your hair you also have to have the right attitude in order to walk confidently with your big and bold hair. Here are tips on how to own your hair and learn to work with what you have.
- Talk to a professional- Even though there may not be many natural hair salons in your area try to find a beautician who specializes in natural hair and can give your a hair consolation to provide you with feedback on your hair texture, type and what treatments and services you might need.
- Ask a Friend-Even though it's a growing market, unfortunately there may not that many beautician that specialize in natural hair, and with the natural hair bloggers and natural hair enthusiast experimenting with their natural hair, they may know more about our natural hair texture then most cosmetologist. Ask a friend for advice and tips on how to maintain and talk about how you feel about your hair and how they feel about their hair.
- Take inventory- Write down 10 things you like about your hair and 10 things you don't like. This will help you to begin developing an honest and realistic idea of your self.
- Set realistic expectations- It’s important to set small, reachable goals that are within your power. Setting an extremely high expectation or an expectation that someone else will change their behavior is virtually guaranteed to make you feel like a failure, through no fault of your own. Start small by adding a new product to your regimen or trying out a new natural style for a week just to get a feel for what your hair can do before you fully commit.
- Stop being a perfectionist and acknowledge both your accomplishments and mistakes.- Nobody is perfect, and trying to be will only lead to disappointment. Acknowledging your accomplishments and recognizing your mistakes is the way to keep a positive outlook while learning and growing from your mistakes.
- Explore your hair.- The importance of knowing yourself and being at peace with who you are cannot be overstated. This can take some trial and error, and you will constantly learn new things about yourself, but it is a journey that should be undertaken with purpose and zeal. Try a wash and go style to see what type of curl pattern you hair has or learn to do a two strand twist to see how well your hair holds. The great thing about our hair is there are so many different possibilities when I comes to hairstyles, so have fun.
- Be willing to adjust your self-image- We all change as we grow, and we must keep up with our ever-changing selves if we want to set and achieve meaningful goals. Wearing your natural hair takes courage and confidence and you have to be willing to stand out. Learn to walk confidently and learning to be at peace with your self image is one thing that you develop when learning to love your natural hair.
- Stop comparing yourself to others- Comparing ourselves to others is a trap that is extremely easy to fall into, especially today with social media and the ability to project a polished, perfected appearance. The only person you should compare yourself to is you (Grohol, 2011).
Henrik Edberg at www.positivityblog.com offers a similar set of tips to improving your self-esteem:
- Say “stop” to your inner critic.
- Use healthier motivation habits.
- Take a 2-minute self-appreciation break.
- Write down 3 things in the evening that you can appreciate about yourself.
- Do the right thing.
- Replace the perfectionism.
- Handle mistakes and failures in a more positive way.
- Be kinder towards other people.
- Try something new.
- Stop falling into the comparison trap.
- Spend more time with supportive people (and less time with destructive people).
- Remember the “whys” of high self-esteem (Edberg, 2017).