Our skin is the most exposed and largest part of our body. It is a good absorbent and it absorbs a large percentage of the substances it comes in contact with. Sadly, we come in contact with a lot of chemicals, surfaces, air etc. that have negative effects on the body. The closest outside contacts to the skin are our beauty products such as cleansers, lotions, shampoos and conditioners. It is important that you recognize the ingredients that constitute your skin and hair care products before you apply them on your skin and scalp to prevent damage to your skin and body.
Many toxic and harsh chemicals have been found in synthetic beauty care products. Some of these chemicals contain carcinogens which are cancer causing substances and have caused acute toxic and developmental abnormalities. It is important to be aware of your skin care constituents, so here are 10 skin and hair care ingredients that you should avoid:
- Parabens- One of the common preservatives liked to cancer, endocrine disruption, and fruitful toxicity which is found in many skincare products and is also used in medication, and as a flavoring additive in food.
- Sulfates- Sulfate is a foaming agent that causes your soaps and shampoo to have a big, luxurious lather
- Phlatalates- Plasticizers which are illegal within the EU and California children’s toys, however, found in several fragrances, perfumes, deodorants, and lotions. Joined to endocrine disruption, liver, kidney, lung damage and cancer.
- Formaldehyde- Formaldehyde also known by its systematic name methanal that can be found in nail product, hair dye, pretend hair adhesives, shampoos. Illegal within the EU.
- PEG Polyethylene glycol- Penetration attention utilized in several merchandise, it’s usually contaminated with one, 4-dioxane and gas chemical compound, and each noted carcinogens.
- Isopropyl alcohol- Isopropyl alcohol, also called isopropanol or dimethyl carbinol. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. It has a wide variety of industrial and household uses.
- DEA, MEA & TEA - Diethanolamine, 2-aminoethanol or monoethanolamine and Triethanolamine, are carcinogenic compounds used as sudsing agents or emulsifiers.
- Oxo benzene- Active ingredient in chemical sunscreens that accumulates in fatty tissues and is coupled to allergies, endocrine disruption, cellular harm, low birth weight.
- SLS/ SLES Sodium laurel (ether) salt- A former industrial degreaser currently used to create soap foam; it’s absorbed into the body and irritates skin.
- Fragrance/Perfume- An aroma-compound, also known as an odorant, aroma, fragrance, or flavor, is a chemical compound that has a smell or odor. An enclosure for hidden chemicals, equivalent to phthalates. Fragrance is connected to headaches, dizziness, asthma, and allergies.
Now that you have familiarized yourself with some of the common hazardous chemicals found in your everyday skin and hair care you should do you best to avoid them. Be sure to check product labels and opt for products that are safe for you and your family and for the environment too.
You might also want to read: Why use natural soap?